Type 2 diabetes is on the rise in America. You can help reduce your risk of acquiring this disease by controlling your weight, eating a healthy diet, and getting plenty of exercise. If you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, it’s very important to take care to control the disease and monitor your blood sugar. Talk with our pharmacist today about how we can help you manage diabetes so you can live a vibrant, active life. Continue reading below for some helpful information on diabetes.
What causes diabetes?
The causes of diabetes are multi-faceted and still under research. What we do know is that both genetics and our environment play a role. Your risk for type 2 diabetes increases as you age, if you are overweight, or do not get regular physical activity.
What are the complications of diabetes?
Over time, the buildup of sugar in your blood can cause damage to the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, eyes, and nerves, leading to serious health problems, even death.
Some diabetes-related complications include:
- Heart disease
- Vision loss or blindness
- Amputations (loss of foot or leg)
- Nerve damage
- Kidney disease
- Lower life expectancy
There is no cure for diabetes, but it can be managed with the help of our pharmacist and your doctor.
How can I control my diabetes?
There are a lot of things you can do to control your diabetes. These include:
- Stay at a weight that is right for you
- Become more active
- Eat meals that are low in total and saturated fat, high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grain foods
- Monitor your blood sugar levels regularly
- Do not smoke
- Let others help
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly
- See your dentist regularly
- If prescribed, take your medication correctly
- Perform routine foot care
- Have your feet, eyes, and kidneys checked regularly